Sunday, June 28, 2015

I Sure Didn't Expect To Talk About Star Wars So Much

So after a long, long, crazy, trip I finally made it to Rafiki Malawi on Friday night! The last couple days have been sort of a slower start since it's the weekend, but I'm starting to settle in and get to know some of the kids. Today is Sunday and this morning I went to church with the one of the staff missionaries, Cindy, and the other mini-missionary, Jenny. The service started at about 7:45 and we left at 11, but Cindy said that it would probably go another three hours! I cannot imagine sitting on those hard benches for six hours straight! 
We got back and were able to rest for a little bit and then we went to a meeting with the boys' council. This is a group of three of the older boys who work together to plan things for the littles and work to be good leaders and role models. They were so sweet as they planned a pancake breakfast and special morning for the little boy's and girl's day. 
After dinner, I was able to go to one of the cottages and play cards and listen to their mama do the devo before bed. It was so much fun to see the silliness of those girls! 

One thing I've learned about all these kids it that they LOVE Star Wars! All of the older kids have seen episodes 1, 4, 5, and 6. And they know every detail. I am so glad that I have three brothers who have always loved Star Wars so much and gotten me to watch the movies so that I have some trivial knowledge to talk about with them. They also think that it is so cool that my brother's name is Luke like Luke Skywalker. I see a lot of light saber fights in my future, which I've had a lot of practice in so I'll be ready! 

They also ask all kinds of questions: 
  • What's your birthday? I've already found a boy with my birthday.
  • What's your favorite color?
  • How many sisters/brothers do you have? 
  • Who's your favorite Star Wars Character?
  • And plenty more, but my favorite question I've been asked so far: How many grandsons do you have? This question was met with lots of laughter from the rest of the kids at the table and lots of confusion from me. :-) 
These kids are great and I can't wait to get to know them better and better! 

Thank you all for all of your prayers! It means so much! 
I haven't been to good about taking pictures yet, but I'll try to post some here or on Facebook tomorrow. 

Lauren :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment