Thursday, July 9, 2015

Last Week of Break for Rafiki

This week is the third and final week of the kids' break from school. So, we have been trying to cram as much fun into it as possible!

Monday morning was little kids' breakfast. After the older kids ate, we went and cooked a ton of apple pancakes for the kids in grades 1-4. They loved the pancakes! Breakfast was followed by an encouraging talk from Uncle Larry, some science experiment demonstrations by some of the boys, and a sweet, kids movie. I think the littles had a good morning!

Tuesday night was big girls' night. We sang some songs, had a talk about using your words to build others up, made friendship bracelets, ate snacks, and watched Star Wars Episode I (they've already seen IV, V, and VI). It was a successful night with lots of giggling!

Wednesday night was finally big boys' night. Very similar to girls' night, but switch out bracelets for more experiments. They, too, got to watch Star Wars and were adding their own sound effects to the movie the whole time!

Today, Thursday, we piled all the sixth and seventh graders into a couple of vans and went to visit a school for visually impaired children. We were able to deliver three brail machines that were donated to them. It was so exciting watching some of the blind kids play with the brail machines! Our kids jumped right in and made friends with all the blind kids. I love that Rafiki doesn't just let their kids be served, but finds ways for them to serve others and bring light into their cities.

We've also done some more Lego bridge building, tomorrow is the final tournament, and some gardening.

Each morning we have bike riding on the basketball court for the littles, and each morning, the two littlest Rafiki girls (ages 3 and 4) ride a tricycle and sing together. Here are some songs they sing:
     Plinkle Plinkle Little Star (it's much cuter this way)
     The QRS's (Much like the ABC's, but you start at Q every time. Interestingly enough, starting at Q still qualifies you to sing the "now I know my ABC's" part.)
     The More We Get the Christmas, The Happier We'll Be (for your friends are my friends and your friends are my friends and your friends are my friends and your friends are my friends and...)

One last thing: The kids have a fun game where they like to come up behind me and pluck a hair off my head and see if I notice. There's something very Tarzan about this game that makes me want to change my name to Tantor. (I notice.)

Lauren :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment